Author(s): Jill Hadfield
Click here to view some sample pages from the book.
Motivation is a vital element in learning, and the most commonly cited explanation for success or failure in language learning. Jill Hadfield and Zoltán Dörnyei present a new theory of motivation centred around the notion of the "˜Ideal Future Language Self", arguing that if students have a rich and inspiring vision of themselves as successful future language learners and users, they will be motivated to work hard to actualise the vision and become that learner. This book:
- integrates the latest research in language teaching with innovative classroom practice
- offers suggestions on how the various components of the theory could be structured into a teaching sequence
- includes a variety of imaginative classroom activities designed to aid both student and teacher in creating and actualising the Ideal Self through visualisation, goal setting, task identification and planning, and a selection of appropriate learning strategies
- shows how teachers can undertake motivation-related research in their own classrooms
This is an ideal guide to and activity book for the theory and practice of motivation in language learning for students and teachers alike.
- : 9781408249703
- : Taylor & Francis Ltd
- : Pearson Education Limited
- : April 2013
- : United Kingdom
- : books
- : Jill Hadfield
- : Paperback