YCT Standard Course
YCT Standard Course (Book 1) is designed for entry level primary school and middle school students. The book has 12 lessons, covering all the 80 words, 10 grammar items and 9 function items of YCT level 1. Lessons 1—11 are teach ing lessons while Lesson 12 is a revision lesson. The suggested class hours for each lesson are 3-4 hours.
Each lesson in Book 1 consists of Key sentences, Let's learn (new words), Let's read (texts), Activities and exercises, Songs, Mini stories and Model test page.
- Key sentences. Each lesson has 2 key sentences. The sentences are both important function items of the lesson and the clues for the key grammar points.
- Let's learn (new words). Each lesson has about 10 new words, with no more than 3 words that are not included in the syllabus (all marked with *). Most nouns appear in the form of pictures and are followed with Chinese characters, Pinyin and English translation. The other words are followed with Chinese characters, Pinyin, English translation and collocations or sample sentences.
- Let's read (texts). Each lesson has 2 texts, with each text containing IQ turns, which mainly come from sentences from previous YCT. Questions after the texts help teachers evaluate if students have fully understood the texts.
- Activities and exercises. The book has both traditional exercises such as filling in the blank and matching, and interactive activities or games. The alternative activities and exercises help the class achieve a balance between being dynamic and static.
- Songs. Each lesson contains a song related to the topic. Students can sing and dance at the same time, which helps to develop their multiple intelligence through a variety of stimulations.
- Mini stories. Each lesson provides an interesting mini story related to the topic. Students can act it out in groups after reading it.
- Model test page. Each lesson has a YCT model test page attached, which helps students familiarize themselves with the test and pass YCT successfully after finishing the book.